Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm Yours

Jason Mraz is a singer-songwriter from Mechanicsville, Virginia. His stylistic influences include, reggae, pop, rock, folk, jazz, and hip-hop. He is well known for his clever, inspired way with words. Three of his major songs are "The Remedy (I Won't Worry)", "Geek in the Pink", and "I'm Yours."

The song "I'm Yours" is about a man falling in love out of no where. The line "I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted" is a hyperbole and a metaphor. It is exagerated in the sense that no one can melt from the appearence of another person. The metaphor comes from the singer explaining that he tried to keep his cool, but seeing the girl caused him to "melt" or fall in love. The line "I fell right through the cracks..." is also an example of a hyperbole and a metaphor. Someone can not really "fall through the cracks," however it is a metaphor for falling in love. It is about a man telling his significant other that he is theirs and that he has fallen for the little things she does. He talks about how he,"won't hesitate no more, no more. It cannot wait, I'm yours." He is telling her to "open up your mind and see like me. Open up your plans and damn you're free. Look into your heart and you'll find love love love love." This means that he wants her to feel the same things he does. Finally, he talks about how he has, "been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror. And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer." This means that he has been spending too long on the little things. This song explains how he is ready to be hers.

No comments: